Sunday, December 23, 2018

A LETTER TO SAFEWAY

Readers, please note: the new url for this blog is https://rovincrone.blogspot.com.



When I bought groceries today, I suddenly realized that there is more plastic than food in the store. Though I am not optimistic about influencing BigGrocers, there's always hope. So, I have sent the following letter to Safeway. It will be interesting to see if they respond.

 

Ever since moving to California in 1980 I have been an enthusiastic Safeway customer. You have consistently provided nourishing, tasty foods at affordable prices, as well as toiletries, detergents, and other household items. During the past few years you have also added organic foods that are good for customers and for the planet. Thank you!

In walking through my local store today, however, I was suddenly struck by an overwhelming amount of plastic everywhere. In the produce section, individual portions of salads and other vegetables are displayed in plastic containers. Unwrapped produce is accompanied by plastic bags also; they could be replaced by paper bags. (I bring my own mesh bags that I bought at a natural foods store. Why don’t you sell these bags to encourage people to use them?)

Moving on to other parts of the store, I saw still more unnecessary plastic. In most cases, it was easy to think of good alternatives. Plastic bottles of vinegar, oil, and so on should be sold in glass bottles, which are easily recycled. Small portions of foods are attractive, but they multiply the amount of plastic used.

Cartons of many foods are made of plastic rather than cardboard. Foam containers used in the deli could be replaced with lightweight cardboard cartons like those traditionally used for Chinese carryout. Meats are sold in plastic packages instead of being wrapped in paper and tied with string. Instead of selling water in plastic bottles, you could sell water from a large dispenser that people would use to refill their own bottles. Wax paper can substitute for plastic in some cases.

Please don’t write me off as a crazy environmentalist. Most people today want to protect marine mammals and protect the environment in other ways, but we are busy. Shopping around for the best choices is time-consuming, and too often we just buy whatever is easily available. If you can use less plastic in your offerings, customers will buy them effortlessly and will appreciate your contribution to a better environment. Please consider my suggestions. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment